Mixing functional training with bodybuilding.



Most people only tend to stick to one of the main styles of training, bodybuilding or functional training. When I say functional training i'm referring to training styles like cross-fit, zoo fitness or other styles that follow that general trend. Rarely will you see someone that mixes both styles. Why is  that though? Bodybuilders tend to look down on cross-fitters mainly because cross-fit training styles don't fall into the strict forms of bodybuilding. However what most lifters fail to grasp is that cross-fitters go through a rigorous process of learning each exercise. The coaches at the cross-fit boxes as they are called know that the movements are dangerous so they take their time to make sure you have the basic form right before throwing you into the deep end of WODs (work out of the day). The same sometime can't be said about lifters in the gym. I've witnessed many people in the gym that have no idea what they are doing but they are the ones walking around with the highest chest.




But back on track, why mix the two and why do I think it's a good idea to mix the two. Basically I have been training for years, for as far back as high school. Back then my body was young and I could control it to a great degree because I mixed my training styles with weights, rugby training and kick boxing. I trained like an athlete would. However when I moved to Japan and started doing bodybuilding seriously I found that most pro bodybuilders could hardly run 100 meters much less do burpees. Through fear of loosing gains and the sort, I shied away from running because people told me it would diminish my leg gains. I shied away from most  functional training because that was what the status quo said I should do. I stuck to the basic bench, squat, deadlift and pull-up. Of course this resulted in me having a good physique but something was missing. I couldn't move as well as I wanted to. I couldn't run as fast as I wanted to. Something was definitely missing in my training program. I decided to start mixing different styles of training to make my workout programs more well rounded and balanced. I wanted to look good and be able to move as well, I needed balance. That is what I sought when I went to Tokyo and did my first cross-fit workout. Needless to say I sucked at it but what stuck with me from that training session was how powerful the women were. I saw them putting weight above there heads that I couldn't dream of doing at the time. And they did it with perfect form. I wanted to do that so I made a plan from that day. I started to mix my workouts with other styles of fitness. As my friend who trains people in Tokyo would say "fitness matters". 

It's been approximately two months since I started mixing my workout and I have not seen any draw backs. Actually I have only seen and felt added benefits from mixing the two. Now I can run 3km at a steady pace under 15 mins and if I really push myself I can do 5km in 25 mins.

So if you are like me and you're seeking a better balance for training then why not train like an athlete would. Too many people are stuck in their boxes of weight lifting or crossfit only. Do both so you get the benefit of both.

One week of training normally looks something like this:

Sunday - Legs Quads
Monday - Chest Tricep
Tuesday - Back Biceps
Wednesday - Leg Hamstring
Thursday - Shoulders and light chest and back
Friday - Run 5km
Saturday - Functional Training

*All training days are started with a 1-3 km sprint and abs

Functional days include jump squats, burpees, toes to bars and a lot of other fun exercises. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GetFitjp at the Rakuten Stadium Spartan Race

What's the difference between JBBF and NPCJ ?

A new year a new you.