A new year a new you.


With the new year rolling around I have been getting a lot of messages from friends and people from the internet about where and how to start a new diet or workout plan. Normally the new year is a time to reflect on your past year and see what changes you can make for a better one.

My advice on breaking whatever cycle your currently stuck is to first assess where you currently are and don't lie to yourself. Be brutally honest with yourself and then and only then can you make changes that will last. We aren't talking about changes that you'll start in January and then you forget them in March. We are talking about changes that you can stick to and build on.

The problem that most people make is that they try to bite off more than they can chew. You have to start small and work your way over time. Take for instance what I tried to do a few months ago. I signed up for the spartan race after my bodybuilding contest were through. At the time I signed up for the spartan race I was no where near ready for the physical challenges that are required to take on a race like that. For one I couldn't run 1 km even if my life depended on it. However I knew my weaknesses and I knew what I needed to work on to meet my goals. I started with 500 meters at first then worked my way to 1 km over a couple of weeks. Now I run 2km or 3km  twice a day everyday even on leg days. I'm currently running a 3 km in under 15 mins and my goal is to do a 5 km in under 25 mins. My point here isn't to brag but to say that you have to start small and work your way up to bigger changes over time. Trust me it makes sense and you'll thank yourself in the long run.

For those looking to start dieting for the new year, first look at what your triggers are. What triggers you to eat the foods that you know will make you gain weight. Those triggers could be friends that you hang out with. Maybe you guys go drinking every weekend or maybe you guys do pizza parties or the like. Maybe give those type of friends a break for awhile and see how it affects your body over time or you could drink tea or water when you go out. Sure it doesn't sound fun but think of the long term not the short. Sure you'll enjoy the night if you drunk but those calories won't go away that easily. So ask yourself if it's worth it before you partake in anything that will throw you off your diet or your goals.   Maybe your trigger is staying at home and watching Netflix. Why not empty your pantry and replace unhealthy snacks with healthier low calorie ones?

What I've found is that after sticking to a diet after a while the habitual changes that you experience stay with you and things eventually become easier. It gets easier to choose the healthy snacks over the bad ones, it gets easier and less embarrassing to ask the bartender for tea or sparkling water instead of alcohol. Stick with it and I assure you things will get easier over time and even if you fail a few times don't worry about it. We all fail, the important thing is to pick yourself up and dust off your bum, get back on  the right track and keep on grinding.

The road will not be smooth and it will be hard but ask yourself. Where do you want to see yourself next year. Who do you want to see looking back at you when you look in the mirror next year.

Here are a few changes you can make today:

       Cut the sugar from your diet. Meaning cut the sweets, snacks, sodas and fruit juices that you               love so much. Opt for healthier treats instead.

       Cut the alcohol. This one is a no brainier but it's one of the ones people struggle with the most.

       Be more active during your daily life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk to your                     destination instead of taking the bus or driving.

       Make fit friends that can encourage you to stay healthy.

       Follow sports or diet pages on Instagram so you can be inspired when you open Instagram or               Facebook.

       Finally join a gym that you can commit to. It's winter in most places so join a gym that's close to         home or work. avoid the ones that you have to travel for a long time to get to. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GetFitjp at the Rakuten Stadium Spartan Race

What's the difference between JBBF and NPCJ ?